In a nutshell, upgrading firmware on Schneider-Electric Modicon M580 CPU requires you to download the new firmware file using Unity Loader.
You get get all the latest firmware files from the following URL. At the time of tis recording the firmware was version 3.1.
The screenshot below shows what the download webpage looks like.
If you unzip the firmware file, the firmware file extension is ldx. See screenshow below.
The firmware on the Modicon M580 CPU can be upgraded by connecting your laptop to the Modicon M580 CPU using the following media.
1) USB. Connect the USB cable to the Modicon M580 CPU mini-B USB port and a USB Type A to the laptop. The USB cable is as shown below.
2) Ethernet. You can use either the Modicon M580 CPU Service port or any of the Ethernet port on the Modicon M580 CPU; either by direct Ethernet cable connection or via a network. Upgrading firmware on the Modicon M580 CPU using a network is not recommended as a drop in network will potentially ‘brick’ your Modicon M580 CPU. Just be aware of that.
These are the steps to upgrading firmware on Modicon M580 CPU.
- Download the firmware and Unity Loader (if you do not have them) from the provided link above.
- OPTIONAL. Install Unity Loader application (if you do not have them in your machine).
- Connect the laptop to the Modicon M580 CPU using the USB cable (mini-B on one end and USB Type A on the other end).
- Launch Unity Loader.
- Click on Firmware tab.
- In the PC list box, select the .ldx file that contains the firmware file.
6A. When connected with Ethernet, select “Ethernet” from the pulldown menu (bottom left-hand side) and click on Scan button to look for the PLC. Make sure that your MAC address matches your PLC.
6B. If you are using USB, select “USB” from the pulldown menu (bottom left-hand side) and click on Scan button to look for the PLC.
check that the MAC address indicated in the PLC box corresponds to the MAC address marked on the CPU.
- Make sure that the firmware you are trying to upload is the same as
- Check that transfer sign is green to allow transfer from PC to CPU.
- Click Transfer.
- Click Close.